Re: 8.5 development schedule

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>,"Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Ron Mayer" <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>, <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>,"Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 8.5 development schedule
Date: 2009-07-01 18:30:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> The beta preparation is dealing with all open issues, which is
> different than the focus of the commit-fest.  Ideally we would be
> addressing those open/bug issues during normal development, but for
> the hard problems seem to linger and then we have to deal with them
> during beta preparation, which can take 1-2 months.

Is there any way to move some of that work up into the earlier commit
fests?  (I'm afraid I still don't have my head around exactly what
sorts of issues are addressed in this phase.)

By the way, I hope that nobody is taking any of my observations or
questions as criticism or complaint.  It seems pretty obvious that the
process currently involves a fair amount of frustration and pain for
all involved, and I'm trying to brainstorm to help.  Don't think for a
minute that I forget or fail to appreciate the tremendous work you do,
along with that done by everyone else.

-Kevin