Re: 8.5 development schedule

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.5 development schedule
Date: 2009-06-30 18:41:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> I would propose to start CommitFests July 15th, September 15th,
> November 15th, and January 15th, planning all but the last to be one
> month long.  The last CommitFest I would plan on closing up by March
> 1st, with release hopefully by June 1st.

This sounds good to me.  Anyone object?

> As for thresholds, I'd propose that we measure the size of patches
> using "diff -u | diffstat".  If the number of insertions plus the
> number of deletions is>= 1000, then the patch is not eligible for the
> final CommitFest unless it was submitted for the penultimate
> CommitFest.  This obvious discriminates against patches with a large
> footprint that are not very invasive and in favor of those with a
> small footprint that are more destabilizing, but it's a clean line in
> the sand, and I think having such a line is better than trying to
> apply human judgment to every case.

I think we need human judgement.  You could easily make a 4-line change
to a macro or one of the planner files which would require endless
debugging.

The deciding people on "big patches" for the final commitfest should be
a combination of the commitfest managers and the core team.  And we
should weed out the disqualified before January 15.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.