Re: raid10 hard disk choice

From: Robert Schnabel <schnabelr(at)missouri(dot)edu>
To: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: raid10 hard disk choice
Date: 2009-05-22 13:38:13
Lists: pgsql-performance
Greg Smith wrote:
> On Thu, 21 May 2009, Robert Schnabel wrote:
>> A word of warning for anyone out there considering the Seagate 1.5TB
>> SATA drives (ST31500341AS)...I'm going through a fiasco right now
>> with these drives and I wish I had purchased more when I did.
> I don't think you came to the right conclusion for how to avoid this
> pain in the future though--buying more garbage drives isn't really
> satisfying.
No, the original drives I have work fine.  The problem, as you point
out, is that Seagate changed the firmware and made it so that you cannot
flash it to a different version.

> What you should realize is to never assemble a production server using
> newly designed drives.
I totally agree.  I'm using these drives for an off-site backup of a
backup.  There is no original data on these.  I needed the capacity.  I
was willing to accept the performance/reliability hit considering the $$/TB.

Bob