Re: Oracle to buy Sun

From: Gabriele Bartolini <gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)it>
To: Scott Mead <scott(dot)mead(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Melanie <melanie(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Oracle to buy Sun
Date: 2009-04-20 14:11:09
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Scott Mead ha scritto:
> I would tend to disagree that it will die.  The recent new release of
> innodb
> (http://www.innodb.com/wp/2009/03/11/innodb-plugin-version-103-for-mysql-5130-32-33-released/)
> suggests that Oracle is not really interested in letting mysql die
> completely.
Yep, I agree. I think however that they will somehow change MySQL plans
and give lower priority (if not abandon) the enterprise class features
and target. There is no advantage in creating self-competition, so they
will inevitably diversify. After all, they can now choose between Oracle
for an enterprise class audience, and MySQL for different target
audiences. On top of this, they will also have top class hardware they
can count on.

--
 Gabriele Bartolini - 2ndQuadrant Italia
 gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)it | www.2ndQuadrant.it