Tangent Ref: Valid characters for user/role/group names?

From: "Roderick A(dot) Anderson" <raanders(at)cyber-office(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Tangent Ref: Valid characters for user/role/group names?
Date: 2009-02-25 22:25:45
Lists: pgsql-general

Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> In my continuing quest for multi-tenant ways I'm trying to come up with
> a method to name roles, users, and groups that will not clash across the
> cluster.

<snip />

While testing and researching I discovered prior work. I was using
different terminology.

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Shared_Database_Hosting

Well my need go a little deeper but they were touched on.

There is also the thread from last August.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-admin/2008-08/msg00049.php

My thanks to Sam Mason and Tom Lane for the ideas and suggestions. I'm
still working through where quoting is needed and not when using pgAdmin
III and psql.

Rod