> Why does postgresql issue the error message "ERROR: Could not convert
> UTF-8 to ISO8859-1", when I execute a select statement after I changed
> the client encoding to latin1 ???
Because every UTF8 character cannot necessarily be encoded as Latin1.
Unicode has more than 64,0000 characters, Latin1 has less than 256.
Check your database for non-Latin1 characaters.
> If I set the client encoding to utf8 by entering "\encoding utf8",
> then the same select will print all the columns bu display
> ÃŒ for ü
> Ã¶ for ö
> and mess up other "special characters".
This is because your display (xterm, whatever) is set to Latin1,
presumably. There are at least three different encoding settings here:
how your data is stored in the database, what the server sends to psql,
and what your display thinks its getting. These must all be consistent
with one another.
- John D. Burger
In response to
pgsql-general by date
|Next:||From: Pavel Stehule||Date: 2005-04-28 17:44:44|
|Subject: Re: temp tables ORACLE/PGSQL|
|Previous:||From: Steve Crawford||Date: 2005-04-28 17:20:55|
|Subject: Linux Journal Users' Choice Award Nominations|