Re: two or more pg installations running as the same user

From: Rafael Martinez <r(dot)m(dot)guerrero(at)usit(dot)uio(dot)no>
To: Filip Rembiałkowski <plk(dot)zuber(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: two or more pg installations running as the same user
Date: 2008-11-25 13:13:01
Lists: pgsql-general

Filip Rembiałkowski wrote:

> 2008/11/25 Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz <gryzman(at)gmail(dot)com
> <mailto:gryzman(at)gmail(dot)com>>
>
> hey folks,
>
> I am thinking about testing enviroment here, and gotta setup
> temporary instalation of postgres for that. More than one, because
> software operates on few different connections, to different databases.
> I know I can do it under same user, just by changing PGDATA/PGPORT
> before initdb gets to run. But will it be safe otherwise ?
>

> yes, no problem with that. for me it was just:

Hello

Another method we use to run multiple postgresql clusters and multiple
versions on the same server is to install extra IPs on the server using
the same (default) port.

If you use this method, it is very important that you define the right
listen_addresses values and different unix_socket_directory values for
each cluster running on the same server.

We connect mostly via tcp/ip and not via sockets, this way the clients
do not have to remember the port running their databases.

Of course the initdb and start steps are the same as Filip has commented.

regards,
--
Rafael Martinez, <r(dot)m(dot)guerrero(at)usit(dot)uio(dot)no>
University of Oslo, Norway

PGP Public Key: http://folk.uio.no/rafael/