autovacuum questions

From: Isabella Ghiurea <isabella(dot)ghiurea(at)nrc-cnrc(dot)gc(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: autovacuum questions
Date: 2008-10-31 15:16:49
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello Gurus,
I'm new to PG , running PG 8.3 on Linux and reading trough docs is
mentioned that in PG vers 8.3 an AUTO vacuum process has been
implemented which will run
full vacuum on all user and system tables + analyze and there is NO
need fro DBA to schedule a crontab job to run this maintenance jobs .
If this is true , here are my questions :
Would like to know from your experience is this automated process
sufficient and reliable in a warehouse database , can I rely only on
this internal process ?
How can I see when the job has been run or completed by PG ?
I have configure track_count=true, what values should I go for
autovacuum_naptime from your experience?

Isabella