Re: [HACKERS] Monitoring postgres

From: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
To: Kellyton Campos Feitosa - GYN <Kellyton(dot)Feitosa(at)gyn(dot)politec(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org Admin" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Monitoring postgres
Date: 2008-10-06 15:47:29
Lists: pgsql-adminpgsql-hackers
Kellyton Campos Feitosa - GYN wrote:
> Dears,
> I need monitor a postgres database, but I don’t know which tool to use.
> The tool need perform the below actions
>    1. show transactions pendents
>    2. show the statistics per session actives
>    3. show the statistics per database
>    4. show metrics per session and database
>    5. show rows locks
>    6. show slow activities statements (SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE)
>    7. to allow set a trace to a specific session, similar the tool
>       dbms_system.SET_SQL_TRACE_IN_SESSION include in Oracle Database
This is better asked in the administration (or general) mailing list. I
don't know of a single magic-bullet tool that does everything you list
but you might try with the PostgreSQL docs starting with the monitoring
and logging sections.

Then Google "postgresql monitoring tool" and see what's available
including commercial products from EnterpriseDB: (dig into the
docs and see what their monitoring stuff does)
and monitoring tools such as Hyperic that have PostgreSQL plugins: