Installing postgres on Vista, can't connect remotely

From: Bastiaan Olij <lists(at)basenlily(dot)nl>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Installing postgres on Vista, can't connect remotely
Date: 2008-10-03 03:17:02
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hey Everyone,

I'm hoping someone ran into this before and knows a quick answer. I just
got a new vista machine in to work on, first time I tried installing
Postgresql on Vista. Downloaded the latest installer of the postgres
site and installed it.

Installation itself went just fine, no strange things, the usual Vista
access control crap, and voila, postgres was running. I can start
PGadmin just fine, logon to my server, created a database.
The world is as shiny as the weather is today in Sydney :)

Changed the hba and config file to allow remote connections and decided
to connect to my new server via my Macbook. The sun is still shining but
no connection... It just took awhile and times out. So I though
firewall! Went into the firewall settings of Vista, told it to accept
connections on port 5432. No change.. Turned the whole firewall off, ah
change, now my PGadmin on my Macbook tells me right away my server isn't
allowing a connection (the standard connection refused message).

I'm pulling my hair out here, my Vista machine can connect to my macbook
machine just fine (its also running a postgres server), I can connect to
any of our other postgres servers running on windows boxes (XP and 2003)
from my macbook just fine. But I must be overlooking something obvious
on this new Vista box..

--
Kindest Regards,

Bastiaan Olij
e-mail/MSN: bastiaan(at)basenlily(dot)nl
web: http://www.basenlily.nl
Skype: Mux213
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bastiaanolij