Re: pg_regress inputdir

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Jorgen Austvik - Sun Norway <Jorgen(dot)Austvik(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_regress inputdir
Date: 2008-09-05 13:40:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Jorgen Austvik - Sun Norway wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> In my opinion, the need
>> for running tests outside the test dir is not very strong (or we would
>> have heard complaints before), and thus the solution is to remove
>> --inputdir and --outputdir.
>
> Attached is a patch that removes --inputdir and --outputdir. I still
> prefere the first patch (that fixed my problem), but removing them is
> probably better than having them when they don't work.

There is interest among packagers to run the regression tests or other
tests after the build.  The Red Hat RPMs have shipped a postgresql-test
package for years with a hacked-up makefile that will probably overwrite
random files that it shouldn't in /usr/lib.  So I would rather be in
favor of coming up with a solution that would make this work rather than
removing the options.  The solution would probably be adding another
option to place the generated files, but the exact behavior would need
to be worked out.