famous multi-process architectures

From: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: famous multi-process architectures
Date: 2008-09-04 08:08:24
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Hi,

sure you all have heard of Google Chrome. Reading their comic strips
[1], I got reminded of Postgres, because they use a multi-process
architecture [2] as well, selling it as *the* new security feature.
Maybe we can hop on that train? Something like:

   "Google got inspired by Postgres: they use the same
    multi-process architecture for their browser as Postgres
    already features for many years. Simply because it
    provides better crash-safety than threaded applications."

It might help a bit in getting rid of those puzzled faces that tend to
appear when telling people, that Postgres doesn't use threads...

Even if we don't push that, it certainly is another good and famous
example of multi-process architectures.

Regards

Markus Wanner

[1]: the architecture comic strip for Google Chrome:
http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/
(processes vs threads starts at page 3)

[2]: more docs about their multi-process architecture:
http://dev.chromium.org/developers/design-documents/multi-process-architecture

PS: I'm already wondering how their Browser copes with an OOM killer ;-)

pgsql-advocacy by date