Re: postgres-R

From: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: Marcelo Martins <pglists(at)zeroaccess(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgres-R
Date: 2008-08-21 18:56:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Marcelo Martins wrote:
> Anyone knows a link that has some docs about how to get that setup ?

Besides the README and other documentation in the source, there's
admittedly not much. Check the archive of this mailing list.

> Also is it stable enough for production ?

No.

> I though getting postgreSQL from CVS and compiling was not such a good
> idea since the CVSROOT is probably not stable, is that wrong ?

Generally, that's a reasonable approach if you want to get stable
software. However, Postgres-R is still in development, and there's no
stable version. When taking snapshots, I'm only checking if Postgres-R
still compiles.

> since I could not find info out there this is what I have done to check
> it out and I downloaded the postgres-r snapshoot patch
> "snapshot 2008-08-13 88 kb postgres-r-20080813.diff.bz2"
>
> cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs(at)anoncvs(dot)postgresql(dot)org:/projects/cvsroot
> checkout -D 2008-08-13 -P pgsql
>
> Any comment much appreciated

That sounds like the right thing to do if you want to peek at the source
code or test-drive the prototype.

Regards

Markus Wanner