Re: How do I determine my data dir for a created database for pg_ctl?

From: Barbara Figueirido <barbara(at)bariloche(dot)com(dot)ar>
To: Matthew Pettis <matthew(dot)pettis(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How do I determine my data dir for a created database for pg_ctl?
Date: 2008-08-20 19:38:41
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-novice

Matthew Pettis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a database I can psql into... How can I determine what its
> absolute path is so I can use pg_ctl on it to restart it? Because
> when I use pg_ctl, it tells me I have to provide it in the -D flag as
> an argument.
>
> Thanks,
> matt

Hi. I'm quite a novice, but I think I can help. In need of determining
the path to the data, I use an indirect method: since different
distributions have different paths, I try to locate the pg_hba.conf
file, which resides on the same directory as your data (with the command
"find / -name 'pg_hba.conf'" (without the double quotes) issued as root).
But since your postmaster is running, I would rather try the following:

ps auwx |grep postmaster

this tells you whether it is in fact running, and if it is, tells you
also the path where the -D flag points to.

Hope this is somehow useful. Best regards,
Barbara