Re: Upgrade Ubuntu on machine with Postgres 8.3

From: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
To: Lee Hachadoorian <lee(dot)hachadoorian(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Upgrade Ubuntu on machine with Postgres 8.3
Date: 2008-06-26 17:25:20
Lists: pgsql-novice
Lee Hachadoorian wrote:
> I'm planning on upgrading Ubuntu 7.10 to 8.04.  Is there anything
> special I need to do to preserve my Postgres 8.3 installation?  Should
> I backup the cluster and reinstall Postgres, or should I just do the
> Ubuntu upgrade and expect Postgres to keep working?

If you are planning to allow Ubuntu to do the version upgrade, it should
do it OK and preserve your data. You should, of course, still backup all
important data both PG and other prior to a major upgrade.

If you are planning a bare-metal reinstall, you will have to back up
everything you want to save including your PG data.

If you are using a Debian-based distro like Ubuntu, look at the
available Debian-specific utilities (wrappers around PG utilities):
pg_createcluster(8), pg_dropcluster(8), pg_lsclusters(1) and pg_wrapper(1).

When the Ubuntu version upgrade involves a major PG version upgrade, you
may need to use one of the above utilities to migrate your PG data to
the new version.

Cheers,
Steve