Re: Enabling SQL text field in the SQL tab of object dialog

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Enabling SQL text field in the SQL tab of object dialog
Date: 2008-06-16 22:07:04
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
Dave Page a écrit :
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 9:34 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
>
>> Option 1 seems not very user friendly to me. Are you against option 2? if
>> yes, why?
>
> Yes, because it's inconsistent to offer the feature in all but two
> dialogues. With option 1, the worst that will happen is the user will
> get an error if they mix tx-sfe and non tx-safe ddl in the one box.
> It'll be handled gracefully by pgAdmin though, so they c an easily
> edit and try again. Plus we can include a short comment in the
> generated SQL to explain the split; something like:
>
> -- This statement is executed on it's own because it is not transaction safe.
> CREATE DATABASE foo;

OK, this works on my local branch but I still have one issue with it: if
the user change the name of a newly created object in the SQL text
field, the treeview will display the name available in the name field,
not the real one available in the SQL text field.

--
Guillaume.
  http://www.postgresqlfr.org