Re: How is the default encoding determined

From: Geoffrey <lists(at)serioustechnology(dot)com>
To: Travis Smith <tsmith(at)optionshouse(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres-Admin list <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How is the default encoding determined
Date: 2008-06-12 19:20:55
Lists: pgsql-admin
Travis Smith wrote:
> This looks like what you are looking for.
>

> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/app-initdb.html
>

> The character set encoding can be set separately for a database when
> it is created. initdb determines the encoding for the template1
> database, which will serve as the default for all other databases. To
> alter the default encoding use the --encoding option. More details
> can be found in Section 21.2.

Thanks, I saw all that, what I was trying to figure out is where in the
environment does initdb determine what to set the encoding to when it's
not specified.

I ran into a problem with the wrong encoding on our database and I want
to figure out if it's because the environment is different on this box,
or if it was caused by the upgrade from 7.4 to 8.3

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin