Re: Postgresql Service Failed Error

From: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz>
To: arpit jain <jain(dot)arpit6(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql Service Failed Error
Date: 2008-05-06 09:08:56
Lists: pgsql-admin

arpit jain wrote:
> Hii
>

> I have installed postgresql-8.2.6 in /usr/local/postgresql/ directory.
> I have also created the data dictionary in /var/lib/pgsql/data directory
> using following commands:

What OS?

> /usr/local/postgresql/bin/initdb -D /var/lib/pgsql/data/
>
> The owner of my var/lib/pgsql/data directory is globus

Is this the same user that is running the postgresql service?

check /etc/init.d/postgresql to see what username the service is being
started as (usually postgres or pgsql) This user should be the only one
that can access the data dir (apart from root)
Bad data dir permissions will prevent postgresql from starting.

> and owner of usr/local/postgresql/bin/initdb is root

That's OK

> I have also edited the following files in
> /var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf by adding listen_addresses='*' and
> /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf by adding
>
> host rftDatabase "globus" "140.221.8.31" 255.255.255.255 md5
>

> Now when I am trying to run /etc/init.d/postgresql restart : It gives me
> following error:
>
> Stopping postgresql service: [FAILED]
> Starting postgresql service: [FAILED]

Is postgres already running? are you running the postgresql restart as root?

In your data dir you should find serverlog that should give more info -
also try system or console logs

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz