Re: close database, nomount state

From: paul rivers <privers(at)berkeley(dot)edu>
To: postgre(at)seznam(dot)cz
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: close database, nomount state
Date: 2008-04-29 06:59:14
Lists: pgsql-general

postgre(at)seznam(dot)cz wrote:
> Hello,
> I want to ask if there is something like nomount state or close database state
> in which I can acces postgresql to drop database or to do some other stuff.
>
> Because when there are some connections, drop database is not
> possible. Or is this done some other way?
>
> Lukas Houf

Short answer-- no.

Longer answer-- there's really no need for the Oracle-esque nomount
state in Pg. If you're doing media recovery, it's very much all or
nothing, cluster-wide. You are not going to do media recovery for a set
of tablespaces, for example. If you'd like to drop a database, you can
cut off connections (say, via pg_hba.conf or whatever floats your boat)
and drop it with a single command. It's not such a big deal as it is in
Oracle.

If this doesn't answer your question, could you say more about what your
issue is?

Regards,
Paul