Re: initdb in 8.3

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Christopher Condit <condit(at)sdsc(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: initdb in 8.3
Date: 2008-04-24 05:19:38
Lists: pgsql-general

Christopher Condit wrote:
> I have a question related to this issue:
> Now that the locale has changed, it seems that the planner no longer
> wants to use the indexes for running LIKE queries on varchar columns
> unless I specify varchar_pattern_ops when creating the index. And if I
> create the index with varchar_pattern_ops, then the planner won't use
> it for = queries.
>
> What's the correct solution to this problem (when using UTF-8 and
> lc_collate and lc_ctype are both 1252)? Do I need to create two indexes?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ.html#item4.6
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/indexes-opclass.html

It should really also be mentioned in the section on the LIKE operator.

By the way, when I tried to leave a comment on the pattern matching
operator doc page I found that after logging in I was presented with a
blank comments form again. When I re-entered my comment and submitted I
got an error indicating that '' is not a valid NUMERIC. Going back to
the original comments form on the pattern matching operator doc page
(having logged in) and submitting there works fine.

--
Craig Ringer