Re: BUG #3983: pgxs files still missing in win32 install (8.3.1)

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Mike Leahy <mgleahy(at)alumni(dot)uwaterloo(dot)ca>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3983: pgxs files still missing in win32 install (8.3.1)
Date: 2008-04-06 20:36:02
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Dave Page wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 12:47 AM, Alvaro Herrera
>> Mike Leahy wrote:
>>  > Is this actually a bug, or is there a specific reason that the pgxs
>>  > files omitted in the windows installer?  I noticed the 8.3.1 installer
>>  > has been posted (as the updates had appeared on my linux machines). From
>>  > what I can tell, the 8.3.1 version of the win32 installer is still
>>  > missing pgxs.mk and any related files.
>>
>>  It is a bug in the Win32 installer.  Please report it on the Win32
>>  installer project, http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pginstaller/
>
> It's not an installer bug - pgxs doesn't make sense to the VC++
> PostgreSLQ build because we don't use (or configure) any of the build
> system on which it relies.
>
> I wonder if we can either build whatever is needed to make pgxs work
> (I'm guessing Makefile.global and more) when we run the perl scripts
> that generate the project files, or come up with a VC++ alternative to
> pgxs.

I'm finally getting back to this, and finding that plr.dll built against
a MinGW compiled postgres will not load in running cluster built with
VC++ (i.e. the standard binary install). Is that to be expected? If so,
can you give me pointers (either direct guidance or literal URLs) on how
to build postgres and related extensions with VC++?

Thanks,

Joe