Re: PostgreSQL more popular than MySQL?

From: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz>
To: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL more popular than MySQL?
Date: 2008-02-21 16:19:02
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Jonah H. Harris wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 7:14 AM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>> Richard Huxton just sent me this interesting piece:
>>  http://markmail.blogspot.com/2008/02/postgresql-more-traffic-than-mysql-and.html
>
> Definitely cool... but the subject is certainly a jump from the data presented.

I would say it isn't really that big a jump - a more active community
grows from and reflects a more popular product.

> There's many things which contribute significantly to the difference
> in numbers, such as -hackers and -patches which are non-user-related
> and have almost no equivalent in the MySQL community.  Similarly,
> MySQL has no equivalent to -advocacy, which I would say is primarily
> driven by PostgreSQL contributors, not users.

Well (at markmail archives) mysql has 25 active lists and postgresql has
30 yet we have almost twice as many messages as mysql.

I would disregarding the total messages since 1999 (particularly since
mysql has shown a fairly constant rate of messages a month - dropping
slightly - where postgresql has picked up in more recent years)

The stats do show some interesting points though. Mysql has a fairly
constant level of messages since 1999 - average would appear to be
dropping slightly.

Postgresql activity has risen considerably since 1999. (around 1000
messages a month in 1999 to 8000 a month now)

Currently mysql lists have 149 messages a day and postgresql has 294.

This would indicate a much more active community and shows that
postgresql has increased in popularity whereas mysql has remained fairly
stagnant.

It does raise another point -
If mysql is so popular where do the mysql users discuss issues and get
help? forums maybe? has anyone done (or think they can do) a similar
stat gathering from forum discussions?

Or do mysql users just buy books and tech support where postgresql users
talk to and help each other...

PostgreSQL.org - where you get a big helpful community along with the
best database on the planet.

PostgreSQL.org - where you get more than just a great database.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz