Formatted text confuses table grid under windows

From: Erwin Brandstetter <brandstetter(at)falter(dot)at>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Formatted text confuses table grid under windows
Date: 2008-02-09 02:56:55
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi developers!

Testing pgAdmin v.1.8.2 (Feb 5 2008), rev: 7050) on WinXP; host: pg 8.2.6 on
Debian Etch

Congrats on 1.8.2, guys! Better late than never. :) (My congratulations, not
the release, mind you!) Upgrading was smooth, it works (mostly) stable. I do
get occasional crashes, but I cannot connect them to a specific cause.

I was able to pin down another (minor) issue, which I'll report instead. In
today´s bug report I'd like to return to a classic: editing text in the table
grid under windows.

To see my point you might want to just reproduce the bug. Create an email
hyperlink in an OOo document. (Insert -> Hyperlink ..) Then copy/paste the
email-address to a text field in the table grid.

As long as you are in edit mode, the field displays (in blue, so obviously
something is different):
test(at)foo(dot)org

As soon as you leave the field, to another column or row, saving the data or
not, the display changes to:
HYPERLINK "mailto:test(at)foo(dot)org" test(at)foo(dot)org

If you re-enter the field, the text switches back to:
test(at)foo(dot)org

No chance to get rid of the markup. Only if you enter edit mode in same field
in another tuple, with _different_ content (markup or not), the behavior
switches back to normal and you can edit what you see. Took me some time to
discern that from mere randomness.

I checked in psql an pgadmin with SELECT '|' || foo || '|' from bar;
No additional characters, just
HYPERLINK "mailto:test(at)foo(dot)org" test(at)foo(dot)org

You can even reactivate the unwelcome behavior by entering the _same_
prepared email-address in the same field of another tuple. Then you cannot
edit the markup-part of either field in the column with same content, until
fixed as above.

This might shares roots with the pesky (well-known) bug that gives us
additional newlines when copying field values: the windows rich-text (?)
control does not always talk straight with the rest of the application.
So, not sure if you can do something about that.

Regards
Erwin