Re: Backup of live database

From: Tom Arthurs <tarthurs(at)jobflash(dot)com>
To: Tom Davies <tgdavies(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Backup of live database
Date: 2008-01-17 01:02:00
Lists: pgsql-admin
If you don't start archiving log files, your first backup won't be valid
-- well I suppose you could do it the hard way and start the backup and
the log archiving  at exactly the same time (can't picture how to time
that), but the point is you need the current log when you kick off the
backup.  If you kick off archiving first, you are assured of a valid
backup (when the recovery is done.)  You may get some extra log files
that way, but better too many than too few.  (been there, done that.)