Re: Press Release review comments

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Press Release review comments
Date: 2007-12-14 15:42:50
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Simon Riggs wrote:
> Just reading the Press Release for 8.3
> http://cvs.pgfoundry.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/press/pr/releases/8.3/en/release.txt
>
> Few thoughts spring to mind
>
> - Just in time background writer changes are nice, but since we already
> mention the load distributed checkpoints (a closely related feature), it
> seems we are saying too much at the expense of other features.
>
> - Asynch Commit is a seriously important feature, not necessarily for
> existing users but definitely for people used to MySQL's speed and lack
> of robustness with myisam tables. It's an important message that we can
> get the speed of myisam and at the same time the robustness of Postgres.
> I don't suggest that we specifically mention mysql, but it is a feature
> that will alter many people's perception of Postgres, so we should talk
> about it somewhere.

+1

> So I suggest we swap Just-in-time for Async Commit.
>
> (To forestall any negative comment, I would add: Yes, I did write that
> code, but I wrote it *because* of its importance to a wide range of
> people that might now consider PostgreSQL. No, I'm not asking for my
> name in brackets anywhere.)

Ahh man why did you have to bring that up... No I have to take back my +1 :P

> Lastly, the press contacts listed are all on the North American
> continent and within a few hours of each other.

Canada != U.S. I think this makes sense.

  > The total European market size is the roughly the same as the North
> American market in terms of people, money etc. South Pacific market is
> also large and probably further into open source than some parts of
> Europe. It really is high time we got the idea across that open source
> and Postgres, in particular, is not solely a US project. I mean no

That's true.

> disrespect at all to any of my fine colleagues, but the geographical
> location of the chair in which we sit has very little to do with our
> mission, goals, teamwork, communication channels or whatever. The same
> isn't true of our external communications, which definitely are affected
> by local issues, markets and definitely by timezones.

I think this is thread hi-jacking :). There are a whole lots of issues
that you just brought up that are worth discussing but certainly not on
this thread :)

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake