Re: [HACKERS] Re: pgsql: Extract catalog info for error reporting before an error actually

From: Michael Paesold <mpaesold(at)gmx(dot)at>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: pgsql: Extract catalog info for error reporting before an error actually
Date: 2007-10-25 17:36:43
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Michael Paesold wrote:
>> Simon Riggs wrote:
>>> That was requested by others, not myself, but I did agree with the
>>> conclusions. The other bad luck might be that you don't complete some
>>> critical piece of work in the available time window because an automated
>>> job kicked in.
>> Yeah, I thought we had agreed that we must cancel all auto vacuum/analyzes,
>> on the ground that foreground operations are usually more important than
>> maintenance tasks.
>
> What this means is that autovacuum will be starved a lot of the time,
> and in the end you will only vacuum the tables when you run out of time
> for Xid wraparound.

Well, only if you do a lot of schema changes. In the previous
discussion, Simon and me agreed that schema changes should not happen on
a regular basis on production systems.

Shouldn't we rather support the regular usage pattern instead of the
uncommon one? Users doing a lot of schema changes are the ones who
should have to work around issues, not those using a DBMS sanely. No?

Best Regards
Michael Paesold