Re: Feature Freeze date for 8.4

From: Rafael Martinez <r(dot)m(dot)guerrero(at)usit(dot)uio(dot)no>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Feature Freeze date for 8.4
Date: 2007-10-23 09:00:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tatsuo Ishii wrote:

> +1. Shorter release cycles are maybe good for fancy GUI oriented
> applications, but not so good for DBMS.
> --

I agree, sure it will be great to have even more and new features as
soon as possible, but not if the quality of the final product decrease.
The most important characteristics of postgresql are stability,
,reliability and performance. It just works. We should not forget this.

And as others have said, from a DBA and system administrator
perspective, maintaining large installations updated in a 6 months
release cycle will be a nightmare.

We are always 1 year back the main release. We are testing and planing
the move to 8.2 now, and it won't happen until desember. In a 6 month
cycle we will have to jump over every second release.

regards
--
Rafael Martinez, <r(dot)m(dot)guerrero(at)usit(dot)uio(dot)no>
University of Oslo, Norway

PGP Public Key: http://folk.uio.no/rafael/