Re: statement caching link on jdbc page

From: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, Till Toenges <tt(at)kyon(dot)de>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: statement caching link on jdbc page
Date: 2007-10-05 11:26:54
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
Heikki,

Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Kris Jurka wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 5 Oct 2007, Till Toenges wrote:
>>

>>> I added a new section "Download Current Version" below the "About"
>>> section. The idea behind this is that most people will be interested
>>> only in one or two versions. In the dummy only one link to the current
>>> JDBC 3 version is included, the download statistics should show which
>>> other versions are popular enough to be included here.
>>>
>> I think this is a good idea, but I would include a link to JDBC4 as well
>> because despite our poor support it is the way of the future.
>>

> It'd be nice to have just a single version in the "Current version"
> section. Could we have just the JDBC4 version there? Does it work with
> older JDKs? Would be nice to have a bit more details on which JDK
> versions each jar works with.

No, it doesn't work with older JDK's. Here is the problem. The class
file structures have changed with newer versions, and cannot be read by
older JRE's

You cannot compile a newer JDBC with an old compiler since the
interfaces are not implemented ( among other things ) , and the  newer
jars cannot be run with older JRE's

We didn't go to all the trouble of making it really hard to understand
for the sake of obsfucation.

Dave