Re: First steps with 8.3 and autovacuum launcher

From: Michael Paesold <mpaesold(at)gmx(dot)at>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: First steps with 8.3 and autovacuum launcher
Date: 2007-10-02 09:23:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> In the worst case autovac could be starved out for a long time.
> I don't have any immediate good idea about how to fix that, but
> the worst consequences could be avoided if we disable the cancellation
> ability when running an anti-wraparound vacuum.  Further down the road
> (*not* 8.3), when we teach autovac about maintenance windows, it might
> also disregard cancels during a maintenance window.

During maintenance window, it could instead lower vacuum cost delay in
the case it would otherwise abort. That would also make sure that the
task would finally finish at some point (even when the maintenance
window ends too early... or perhaps any cleanup task started during a
maintenance window should keep it's "maintenance priority"?)

Best Regards
Michael Paesold