Tablespaces and NFS

From: Carlos Moreno <moreno_pg(at)mochima(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Tablespaces and NFS
Date: 2007-09-19 15:58:18
Lists: pgsql-performance
Hi,

Anyone has tried a setup combining tablespaces with NFS-mounted partitions?

I'm considering the idea as a performance-booster --- our problem is
that we are
renting our dedicated server from a hoster that does not offer much
flexibility
in terms of custom hardware configuration;  so, the *ideal* alternative
to load
the machine with 4 or 6 hard drives and use tablespaces is off the table
(no pun
intended).

We could, however, set up a few additional servers where we could configure
NFS shares, mount them on the main PostgreSQL server, and configure
tablespaces to "load balance" the access to disk.

Would you estimate that this will indeed boost performance??  (our system
does lots of writing to DB --- in all forms:  inserts, updates, and deletes)

As a corollary question:  what about the WALs and tablespaces??  Are the
WALs "distributed" when we setup a tablespace and create tables in it?
(that is, are the WALs corresponding to the tables in a tablespace stored
in the directory corresponding to the tablespace?  Or is it only the
data, and
the WAL keeps being the one and only?)

Thanks,

Carlos

pgsql-performance by date

Next:From: brauagustin-suscDate: 2007-09-19 17:38:13