Re: WIP - MSVC build script replacements

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: "Patches (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP - MSVC build script replacements
Date: 2007-09-17 17:09:52
Lists: pgsql-patches

Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Here after much tedious testing are some perl replacements for
> src/tools/msvc/build.bat and src/tools/msvc/vcregress.bat, as
> previouslty discussed on -hackers. They do not exhibit the error
> reporting problems I have had on XP, and they work nicely with a
> slightly modified buildfarm script. There is one failure - the ECPG
> checks fail to build. The error I get is shown below - not sure why on
> earth it can't find MSVCRT.lib.

Does it work on the same machine with the .bat file?

> There are also a few things to tidy up before I commit this, but I'm
> happy because it has proved much less fragile than the existing scripts
> in cooperating with the buildfarm. I am also turning my attention to
> fixing the use of "dir" in Install.pm.

Not having tested it yet, but looked over.

Does the
#!c:/perl/bin/perl
actually make any sense? Does it even work?

Should it system("mkvcbuild")? Shouldn't it rather use Mkvcbuild; and go
from there? Seems a whole lot cleaner, and that's why we nade Mkvcbuild
a module in the first place.

As for vcregress, code like:
my $schedule = shift
||(($what eq 'CHECK' || $what =~ /PARALLEL/) ? "parallel" : "serial" );

is quite hard for me to read, but that could be because I'm not fluent
in advanced perl :P Perhaps simplify a bit for those of us? ;) (I
perfectly understand what it does after thinking about it a bit, but I
have to think and not just read. And since this is a very simple piece
of code after all.)

Not sure I like the getTests vs GetTests. Sure, it's case sensitive, but
again with the easy-to-read.

(and usage: foo, but I'm sure you knew that)

Other than that, looks fine to me.

//Magnus