looking for part time consulting postgres DBA/architect/developer

From: Bill Desjardins <bill(at)carracing(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jobs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: looking for part time consulting postgres DBA/architect/developer
Date: 2007-08-24 01:50:24
Lists: pgsql-jobs
Hello All,

I have a personal project which I am looking to contract a postgres DBA
for assistance with. I prefer to setup a monthly contract for now, but
thinking ahead, if things workout business and work wise, than there is
a great opportunity for full-time employment and much more.

A few requirements I am specifically looking for:

- You MUST have a love of everything Car (Automotive) related... Car's
and Car Racing. I am looking for a passionate and knowledgeable person
whom has a real love for everything automotive related. I put this first
since I am only interested in people that can share, understand and
contribute to the passion of my project.

- knowledge of most, if not all, postgres replication and redundancy
options and the skills to setup and maintain the system decided upon for
the production environment.

- Experience and knowledge of backup & restore best-practices and
several years experience implementing detailed, and ongoing, backup
procedures for large-scale postgres DB systems.

- PHP skills and Query optimization skills. My App is written entirely
in PHP, but my SQL skills may not always be simple, and most likely, are
not that efficient. I am looking for someone who can take the time to
understand my business model and provide feedback on optimizing query's
via reading my php code and provide better SQL (where needed) and/or
create a better DB structure (indexes...etc..) which better suits the
business model.

- Ability to responsibly share management of the DB's with me for now :)
Basically, I require that any methods and procedures which we develop
are designed so that either of us can handle basic system troubles and
recovery practices. I am a very experienced sysadmin on FreeBSD and very
capable to deal with most any procedural problems that may arise locally
so as to achieve the quickest trouble resolution in the event of
problems. I am not looking for free tutorials, only the understanding of
cooperative responsibilities of services as best fits my project until I
can employ a full-time DBA which will be yourself if you choose when I
am ready.

- 24x7 availability via direct phone with contract terms featuring a set
off-hours support rate TBD.

- Telecommuting is not a problem.

- knowledge of large-scale DB separation best-practices to deal with
multi-millions of users and how to best segregate the DB's into distinct
clusters based on usage. Granted, I have no requirement for this now as
I have no clients, but I consider this a pre-requirement so that I can
prepare for large-scale now, and save rebuilding systems later.

Some details on the current environment...
(2) identical DELL 2950 servers with the following config:
==
-- FreeBSD 6.2 (RELENG_6_2), amd64 (64 bit).
-- 4GB RAM
-- Dual (quad-core) 2GHz Procs, 4MB Cache/proc.
-- RAID 10, 4x250GB SATA drives (500GB storage), dedicated to PG
-- xlog on main OS drives, RAID1 (2) x 80GB drives
-- currently evaluating pgpool for simple shared SQL based replication

I am looking for, and very much prefer, a long-term relationship with
someone who can provide the skill's above, but much more importantly,
will enthusiastically contribute to the development of an overall
long-term, best-practice, DB architecture with forward thinking that is
inline with the primary business goals and understanding of how to best
support/benefit our fellow car enthusiasts (visitors).

A short detail of my site, is that I am developing a community themed
website that is focussed on everything Car (Automotive) and Racing
related. the website is CarRacing.com. I am the original and 100% owner
of the CarRacing.com domain name for ~10yrs now. This is my very own
personal project and I have written every single line of the php and
html code on my own using only vi :). Not considering the stupid prices
I have been offered for just the domains, CarRacing.com (& .net), I will
not sell at any price. The only goal is a site to benefit car
enthusiasts, nothing more, nothing less.

If you can meet my requirement details above and have a strong desire to
commit your skills, and knowledge of cars, to help build the most unique
Car related website on the Internet, than please send me your resume
along with a short detail on how and why you love everything Car and
CarRacing related and how your DB skills will aid to making
CarRacing.com the best Car & CarRacing website online today.

Thank you,

Bill

pgsql-jobs by date

Next:From: Bill MoranDate: 2007-08-30 20:20:02