Re: Performance Problem with Vacuum of bytea table (PG 8.0.13)

From: Bastian Voigt <post(at)bastian-voigt(dot)de>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance Problem with Vacuum of bytea table (PG 8.0.13)
Date: 2007-05-25 11:10:09
Lists: pgsql-performance

Richard Huxton wrote:

> I was about to say that you can tune pg_autovacuum, but I just checked
> your original post and you're running 8.0.x - not sure about that one.
The system catalog pg_autovacuum which allows finetuning autovacuum at
table level was introduced in 8.1 :-(

> You'll have to check the documentation for that version to see if you
> can either:
> 1. exclude that table from pg_autovacuum
> 2. increase pg_autovacuum's sensitivity
(1) seems to be impossible (correct me if I'm wrong..), so maybe I'll go
for (2) ...

> If not, and this table is the most active, it might be simpler just to
> run your own vacuum-ing from a cron job.
Well, it is one of the most active, but there are others. pg_autovacuum
seems to do a very good job, apart from this one table...

--
Bastian Voigt
Neumünstersche Straße 4