Re: Google Releases Improved MySQL Code

From: Lukas Kahwe Smith <smith(at)pooteeweet(dot)org>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Ned Lilly <ned(at)nedscape(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Google Releases Improved MySQL Code
Date: 2007-04-25 20:46:37
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
> Ned Lilly wrote:
>> Saw this article and wondered if there had been any similar PR around
>> the Skype tools for PostgreSQL.  That's *at least* as impressive and
>> interesting a story...
>
> Well there is a significant difference here. Unless Google also hands
> the copyright to MySQL AB, there is no chance that the change will make
> it into the standard distribution. I will try to get confirmation on the
> question this today.

I talked to Mark from Google here at MySQL UC and he told me that Google
has no issues giving MySQL the right to commercial proprietary licensing
the code. However of course Google's lawyers need to review the MySQL
CLA before these changes can make their way into the MySQL standard
distribution. Of course MySQL AB also has final say on if they actually
want to integrate the code or not.

regards,
Lukas