Re: build/install xml2 when configured with libxml

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: build/install xml2 when configured with libxml
Date: 2007-04-14 17:04:14
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:
>> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>> But the policy is that the presence of features in the final build
>>> should not depend on the incidental presence of features in the build
>>> environment.  Either you select a feature, then it's built, or you
>>> don't, then it's not.  So the only options we really have are adding
>>> another switch for libxslt, or including it with libxml.  I'm not sure
>>> which is better.
>
>> Then let's add a switch for libxslt.
>
> +1 --- the fact that so many buildfarm members only have one of the two
> libraries is pretty suggestive that that's common.  We shouldn't require
> both libraries to build the core xml features, if only because
> contrib/xml2 is expected to go away eventually, no?

well from a buildfarm maintainer perspective - I only have (or had on
some boxes) only libxml(or rather libxm-dev) installed because that's
what was required when we got the initial XML support.
Most of those boxes would have neither of those two - it's the buildfarm
itself that resulted in that library getting installed (and only that
one because it was sufficient at the time).

Stefan