Re: Patch to roadmap

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch to roadmap
Date: 2007-02-27 18:44:26
Lists: pgsql-www

>>> I don't. The WIKI gives us that and gives us the TODO list to boot.
>> What you are suggesting is getting rid of the TODO list and replacing it
>> with the Wiki.
>
> I think this is where the disconnect is. I am *not* suggesting any such
> thing. I am suggesting, that a single link on a single page which is not
> the TODO list page, be changed to reflect a link that contains more
> thorough information about our development which *includes* the TODO
> list links.

I'm absolutely fine with linking to the wiki page from the developer
section. Not just fine with it, we absolutely should do it. We should
link to both.

>> Until then, AFAIK the TODO list is the official word, and that's the
>
> Even Tom has stated that the TODO is not the official word. The TODO is
> a wish list, it is a ice cream on a hot day. It has not standing accept
> that it is generated arbitrarily by a core member via discussion that
> happens on the list. That core member, willingly puts things on the TODO
> list that have never been approved, or had *official* word of acceptance.
>
> That is not to say I am not against the TODO list, I am not, see above.
> I am just saying that all arguments about official, non official, are moot.

Well, the header of one of the pages say "unofficial" ;-)

(leaving the rest for others to comment on as I believe I've already
said what I think and just reiterating it won't help)

>>> I would agree with this, including information on a roadmap etc..
>> Great, especially considering that it was your time that was volunteered
>> to do it :-)
>
> Some day you must cross the pond to my side of the world. You owe me beer.

Hey, you're the one who didn't come to Toronto :-P

//Magnus