Re: tsearch in core patch, for inclusion

From: Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Subject: Re: tsearch in core patch, for inclusion
Date: 2007-02-22 16:20:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Hi,

Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> If we are worried about the size of the transition table and keeping it
> in cache (see remarks from Tom upthread) then adding more keywords seems
> a bad idea, as it will surely expand the table. OTOH, I'd hate to make
> that a design criterion.

Yeah, me too. Especially because it's an implementation issue against
ease of use. (Or can somebody convince me that functions would provide a
simple interface?)

> My main worry has been that the grammar would
> be stable.

You mean stability of the grammar for the new additions or for all the
grammar? Why are you worried about that?

> Just to quantify all this, I did a quick check on the grammar using
> bison -v - we appear to have 473 terminal symbols, and 420 non-terminal
> sybols in 1749 rules, generating 3142 states. The biggest tables
> generated are yytable and yycheck, each about 90kb on my machine.

That already sounds somewhat better that Tom's 300 kb. And considering
that these caches most probably grow faster than our grammar...

Regards

Markus