Re: Incremental Backup of a particular database

To: Shoaib Mir <shoaibmir(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Yogvinder Singh <yogvinder(at)newgen(dot)co(dot)in>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Incremental Backup of a particular database
Date: 2007-01-17 15:15:38
Lists: pgsql-admin

Shoaib Mir wrote:
> Even with ver 8.1 you can use WAL archive backups (PITR) to implement
> an incremental backup strategy.
Yes, true, but it's harder with 8.1 as you always have to start from a
base backup and roll WAL logs forward - without a custom script you
cannot "wait" for new WAL logs to arrive and apply them on top of a base
backup.
There is a project in PgFoundry to allow for warm-standby in the 8.0 and
8.1 series, however this is reportedly built-in to 8.2 now.