Re: SAPDB/MaxDB

From: Hans-Juergen Schoenig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Lukas Kahwe Smith <smith(at)pooteeweet(dot)org>
Cc: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SAPDB/MaxDB
Date: 2007-01-11 09:11:06
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

*snip*

> Finally MaxDB does offer some interesting features. The main one being
> that they require no maintaince at all. All reindexes and structures
> are immidiatly brought into optimal condition. There is nothing like
> OPTIMIZE TABLE or VACUUM necessary. Their point being that the
> database should work with a constant performance in 24/7 shops.
>
> regards,
> Lukas

theoretically this is all fine but did you every try using it?
say, something which is beyond "select * from table".
it is a nightmare. the documentation sucks and whenever something goes
wrong I'd highly suggest to quickly donate to the church to make sure
that at least god considers helping you.

i also remember funny bugs such as "i cannot replay my binary backup
because of error 43412341234123123213412412542314214").
maxdb is far from good and if you ever looked at the code in there you
will soon find out that this is not what you want to use.

to me maxdb is more of a marketing name than a serious database.

best regards,

hans

--
Cybertec Geschwinde & Schönig GmbH