Crash in edit grid

From: Erwin Brandstetter <brandstetter(at)falter(dot)at>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Crash in edit grid
Date: 2006-11-30 22:16:44
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi developers! Hi Dave!

Testing 1.6.1 rev: 5709, client Win XP. Host Debian Sarge, PG 8.1.4

A new version is out. Congratulations on your good work! :)

I have run a few tests, found nothing bad, and used it for serious work.
Found something bad though, when I was not looking. Here is what I did:

From within the edit grid I applied a new filter.
_Many_ rows were fetched, so it took a _long_ time before (new) data
would be displayed.
Got distracted, came back, edited filter and reapplied before the result
of the previous filter had been displayed.
pgAdmin crashed on me, and with it a dozen windows with unfinished work. :(
Now, I know that a note is being displayed at the bottom left:
"Refreshing data, please wait" while data is being fetched. But it is
easily overlooked, and that's what I did.

Trying to reproduce this (no difference if I apply a new filter from
within or I open the edit grid with the filter option), it crashes
occasionally. Most of the time I just get an error of this kind:

An error has occurred:

before or while processing the request

Possible cure:
Lock the edit grid while waiting for data (hourglass?), or at least
prevent pgAdmin from crashing.
But please don't leave this footgun loaded for the occasionally poor of
sight, like me.

Regards
Erwin