Re: Postgres Server collapse

From: Michael Paesold <mpaesold(at)gmx(dot)at>
To: imad <immaad(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Sistemasvi <sistemasvi(at)aerogal(dot)com(dot)ec>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres Server collapse
Date: 2006-11-28 09:33:00
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

imad schrieb:
> On 11/27/06, Sistemasvi <sistemasvi(at)aerogal(dot)com(dot)ec> wrote:
>>

>> Hello.
>>
>> I have a postsgresql database with max 500 connections. All
>> development is
>> in Java (View, Model, controller model). The problem is when I have high
>> traffic (about 10 AM) when the database server collapse. The server
>> turn too
>> slow as It haven´t memory and the swap memory increase too much. I
>> must kill
>> all postgres connections and restart postmaster service.
>>
>> I have only one connection by web session. It is good or bad?
>
> One connection only? Then why did you increased the number of connections
> to 800? Sorry, I might be missing some point here.

Strip "only" to understand the sentence. ;-)

Carlos has one open DB connection for each open "web" (i.e. Webbrowser)
session, which means that there are way too many connections open for a
great number of currently waiting sessions. A connection pool should
alleviate the problems.

Best Regards
Michael Paesold