Re: "Clustering"

From: Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "Clustering"
Date: 2006-11-21 09:42:11
Lists: pgsql-docs
Hi,

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> The heading "Multi-Master Replication Using Clustering" doesn't make
>> sense to me.  Clustering is bunching more than host together to achieve
>> a common goal.  Thus multimaster replication may be a way to achieve
>> clustering, but clustering is not a way to achieve multimaster
>> replication.  I don't actually see clustering defined in the
>> documentation.  Can someone explain the categorization?

AFAICS, clustering seems to have no clear definition within database
replication.

> I used the term clustering to mean that the servers work closely
> together.  This is not as true with the other items on the page that are
> not clustering.

Why not simply call in "Multi Master Replication"? That implies
clustering, doesn't it?

Perhaps you meant a Shared Nothing Cluster by referring to clustering?
Such a definition would make more sense.

BTW, I'm slowly beginning to accept that you don't want to mix
"Statement-Based Replication Middleware" with "Multi Master
Replication". ;-)

>> (FWIW, I think "Clustering For Parallel Query Execution" later in the
>> list is an appropriate use of the term.)

That reminds me of the requirement of having Multi Master Replication in
place to do Parallel Query Execution. Sync Multi Master Replication
being better, while Async Multi Master Replication obviously leads to
inconsistent responses, when queried in parallel. That may be acceptable
in certain situations.

Again, IMHO, "Parallel Query Execution" says everything. The word
'Clustering' does not help, because it's not defined nor commonly used
in any helpful way (probably besides marketing).

Regards

Markus