Re: availability of SATA vendors

From: Arjen van der Meijden <acmmailing(at)tweakers(dot)net>
To: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: availability of SATA vendors
Date: 2006-11-17 19:19:59
Lists: pgsql-performance
On 17-11-2006 18:45 Jeff Frost wrote:
> I see many of you folks singing the praises of the Areca and 3ware SATA
> controllers, but I've been trying to price some systems and am having
> trouble finding a vendor who ships these controllers with their
> systems.  Are you rolling your own white boxes or am I just looking in
> the wrong places?

In Holland it are indeed the smaller companies who supply such cards.
But luckily there is a very simple solution, all those big suppliers do
supply SAS-controllers. And as you may know, SATA disks can be used
without any problem on a SAS controller. Of course they are less
advanced and normally slower than a SAS disk.

So you can have a nice SAS raid card and insert SATA disks in it. And
than you can shop at any major server vendor I know off.

Good luck,

Arjen