hardware - generic

From: Tom Allison <tallison(at)tacocat(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: hardware - generic
Date: 2006-11-07 23:40:35
Lists: pgsql-novice

I'm currently running a postgresql database on the following hardware
(I know it's a bit small)

Via Epie 533MHz cpu and mobo.
512MB PC 100 RAM.
5400 RPM single EIDE drive.

And it's showing some signs of not being able to keep up with the demands of a
database. Probably no surprise there.

But, I'm not sure what kind of hardware I should focus on.
What's the most important thing to get first, second, third?

I don't think I have the $$ to get a 8 drive 15K RPM SCSI array with 32GB RAM
and quad CPU's - though it might be nice in the winter as a space heater.

Most of what I'm seeing right now is actually CPU bound on this machine and
another (2GHz AMD) so I'm wondering if I'm better off getting multiple CPU's
over one really huge one (or a multi-core).

Stuff like that.... What's your experience?