Re: client crashes in PQfinish

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: soni de <soni(dot)de(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: client crashes in PQfinish
Date: 2006-10-31 11:47:17
Lists: pgsql-performance
soni de wrote:
> Any response?

Couple of points:
1. You're on the wrong list. This is for performance issues. I'd
recommend one of the bugs/hackers/general lists instead.

2. You don't give details of any error message produced during the crash
  (or if there is one).

3a. You don't give details of the version of PostgreSQL you're on
  b. what O.S.
  c. how installed
  d. what the database was doing at the time
  e. what the client was doing at the time

Now, to my uneducated eye it looks like a linked-list problem when
closing a connection. Presumably a corrupted pointer or freeing
something already released.

To make diagnosis even more interesting, although you say it is the
"server" that is crashed, I think PQfinish is part of the libpq
connection library. That probably means the crash is in the client, not
the server. Or does it?

So - based on the fact that I can't tell what's happening, where it
happens or even if it's in the server or client I'd guess something in
your code is overwriting some of libpq's data structures. Possibly
you're using threads in a non-threading library? Bear in mind that I'm
not a C programmer.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd