Re: Performace Optimization for Dummies

From: Matthew Nuzum <matthew(dot)nuzum(at)canonical(dot)com>
To: Carlo Stonebanks <stonec(dot)register(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performace Optimization for Dummies
Date: 2006-09-29 03:08:37
Lists: pgsql-performance
Carlo Stonebanks wrote:
> Lots of great info here, I will see what applies to my situation. However, I
> don't see bulk inserts of the tables working, because all of the tables need
> to be refreshed as values to deduplicate and match will change with every
> row added. In order for this to work, i would have to write queries against
> the hash tables. This is where something like MySQL's in-memory tables would
> have come in handy...
>
> What is GDB?
>
> Carlo

Sorry, meant GDBM (disk based hash/lookup table).

With Postgres if your tables fit into RAM then they are in-memory as
long as they're actively being used.

Hashtables and GDBM, as far as I know, are only useful for key->value
lookups. However, for this they are *fast*. If you can figure out a way
to make them work I'll bet things speed up.
--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode