Re: Timezone List

From: Naz Gassiep <naz(at)mira(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Timezone List
Date: 2006-09-06 18:38:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> In the CVS version there is a table with this information:
>
> http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/view-pg-timezonenames.html

Great, thanks for that
> Err, where does postgres use this information? I beleive there is a
> project on pgfoundary that has some standard datasets.

Currently, it is stored in /src/timezone/data/iso3166.tab and I propose
to have it available in a system view or something similar. This data is
as useful as the available timezones, although I concede that it is not
part of PG functionality and this may be more appropriate as a simple
file that can be psql -f'd into the database if users need it as part of
an app. It's more "developer helper data" than "database functionlity"
and hence it could be more appropriate to distribute through the support
community rather than as part of the postgresql core.

Comments?