Re: Latest ODBC driver?

From: Mark Morgan Lloyd <markMLl(dot)pgsql-odbc(at)telemetry(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Latest ODBC driver?
Date: 2006-08-31 15:55:32
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Stijn Vanroye wrote:

> Just a thought: Mark, are you using the actual BDE engine itself
> (TTable, TQuery and such), or are you using the ADO components
> (TADOConnection in combination with e.g. a TADOQuery or TADODataSet)?

Stijn, thanks for that. I'm using pukka BDE in all cases- in general a TQuery
with custom query text constructed at runtime. I also admit that I'm using D3,
and that we are far more interested in getting the apps running using Lazarus on
Linux than we are in paying extortionate upgrade prices for dubious
enhancements.

> We have been working with the combo ADO components and ODBC Unicode
> driver for quite some time here, and it has always worked. (We started
> using this combination somewhere around postgres version 7.x-ish)
> Only with the release of the 8.x version of postgres and the new driver
> archticture attempt, we have had some problems conscerning the blob/lo
> datatype, but with the latest version of the ODBC (08.02.x) those
> problems seem to have been solved.
>
> The point is that you can work with Delphi/ADO components *and* use the
> Unicode driver. The only extra we did was SET CLIENT_ENCODING TO
> 'latin1' as extra parameter.

Noted for future reference :-)

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd