ADO and sequences

From: Andreas <maps(dot)on(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ADO and sequences
Date: 2006-08-22 17:38:18
Lists: pgsql-odbc

I'd like to write to PG from Access2000 with ADODB.
I got it running, but I'd like to know the sequence-nr that gets used
when a new record is created.

I open a recordset with
        .CursorLocation = adUseClient
        .CursorType = adOpenStatic
        .LockType = adLockOptimistic
then I call its AddNew method, the columns get filled and the recordset
is closed.
The primary key is a SERIAL.
Is there a way to read the pkey before I commit the record?
Access knows it's Autonumbers after AddNew when I use it's JET db-engine.

A "select currval...." after the AddNew yields
Error while executing the query;
ERROR:  currval of sequence "personen_person_id_seq" is not yet defined
in this session

I'd rather not use currval anyways. I'd prefer to have the program not
know to much of the structure that sits in the db backend, like the
sequence's name in this case.

Can I get something like this :

     lngID = rs!id

     rs!field1 = value1
     rs!field2 = value2

pgsql-odbc by date

Next:From: JohannDate: 2006-08-22 19:20:50