Re: Conditional INSERT: if not exists

From: Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>
To: Don Morrison <donmorrison(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Conditional INSERT: if not exists
Date: 2006-08-22 13:26:37
Lists: pgsql-novice
Don Morrison wrote:
> I want to insert a row unless it exists already.  Do I have to write a
> stored procedure to do this?

Hi, Don.

Just do the insert.  If it already exists, it simply isn't inserted.
You will, of course, receive an error that the row exists, but that
isn't a problem.  If you need to do this in a transaction, you can
simply set savepoints and roll back to the savepoint if an insert fails
(and you expected that it could).

Sean